Sunday, May 04, 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Being Me

Well, I know this news might send some of you into cardiac arrest, but here it goes anyway: I have become a "gym rat." Yes, you heard me correctly. I am addicted to working out at the gym now - have been for the past several weeks.

In fact, I actually beat the gym manager to the front doors this morning before he had a chance to unlock them - go figure! The early bird gets the burn. I know, I know: I probably should have gotten a photograph to publish on the cover of Weekly World News or something for authenticity.

Regardless of your suspended disbelief, I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to need a "superhero body" if I'm going to start kicking ass and taking names (so to speak). Let's face it: We live in a visual society and people seem to like some eye candy to go along with their sidedish of laughs - so I might as well give the masses what the want out in the public forum!

Actually, that's a truckload of Kentucky Derby crap. I'm doing this for me. You see, when I told you all that I was going "back to the drawing board" - I probably should have clarified that the same old drawing board was actually located in a new School of Rock.

Sure, I could always make excuses about becoming some disgusting blob ...but talk is cheap, right? Well, I've LOST 22 lbs. - and counting!

So even though I always seem to be two steps behind "my esteemed colleagues," I usually seem to get there (someway) in the end, don't I?

And, no, don't worry: They haven't killed "Fun Chris." Believe me, "Fun Chris" still exists on many levels. Let's just say, we're making a few much-needed "modifications" to the original model...

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

Whatever the case, I've always (as you are well aware) loved to eat, drink and be merry. And at 6 feet 4 inches tall, I seemed to be able to get away with packing on the pounds here and there at times, from Cleveland State to The Second City, through thick and thin. It's just those damn "commitment issues" of mine that always kept me from signing up at the gym before now.

Well, that - and the fact that signing a contract with a gym is worse than buying a used car these days (and you need to bring along a high-priced team of lawyers to avoid getting fleeced by the Fitness Mafia, it seems). Hey, Hans and Franz, I just want to pay the fee and go!

But, of course, that would be just a little too easy, right? Instead, I get the wind-up and the "sales pitch" before I can sign on the line which is dotted. More years, more money, first month, last month, membeship fee, registration fee, etc., ad nauseam.

"So," the salesperson says innocently, "I see by the (Cleveland) Indians shirt you're wearing that you're a Tribe fan, huh?" Points to the poster of their certain #48 half-donkey, half-prospect spokesperson on the wall. "It's the ninth inning. Game is tied. There are two outs and the bases are loaded and Travis is up to bat. So, what do you think Pronk would do in this situation? What would YOU do...?"

"Oh, well I know the answer to that one!" I reply in a rather assured fashion. "As someone who drafted Pronk in the 3rd round of my fantasy baseball draft, I can absolutely, definitely, positively TELL YOU what Pronk would DO in this situation... you see, as manager of my fantasy baseball team ("The Blue Moon Blobs") which is, COINCIDENTALLY, currently two spots out of the proverbial basement in my league, thanks partly to Pronk and that piece of driftwood he swings called a bat... I KNOW what Pronk would do! I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT PRONK WOULD DO IN THIS SITUATION ...I have my freaking Ph.D. in Pronk! I'm a DH hitting .213, HEAR ME ROAR!!!"

Well, needless to say, I buckled like a belt and signed the contract. I probably need to address my "anger issues" next, but one baby step at a time, right? So, sure, nobody is going to figure it all out in one day. True dat. And slumps don't last forever...

Like a classic episode of Lost, this is "The Shape of Things To Come."

"Someday I'll fly ...Someday I'll soar ...Someday I'll be something much more. Cause I'm bigger than my body gives me credit for..."

10 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what happened at the Brady Quinn speak-N-spell free for all?

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Chris McVetta said...

Well, remember when I was 14 and I sent away for some information about "Dianetics" from L. Ron Hubbard because I thought it was some "cool" science fiction thing? And it turned out to be ...something else.

Sort of like that.

The chicken was good though. Moist.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well as someone who keeps tabs on you I have to say I'm somewhat impressed, Chris. No matter how it turned out at least you got out there to see what's what..right?

Just like you cannot always live up to eveyrone else's expectations..you should give everyone else the benefit of the doubt. No doubt. Right?

And it sounds like you did. You had fun right? Take what you learned from this experience and enlighten us babe..

We expect nothing less.

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more quick note of clarity kid..you have the ability to turn the absurd..into something substantial and surreal (and the other way around)..you always have.

So why don't you do just that?

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Chris McVetta said...

Gosh, you're an upbeat lady!

But didn't you read my post? I'M BUSY. Geez, what do you think I do around here all day...?

"It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you. There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do. I bless the rains down in Africa. Gonna take some time to do the things we never had..."

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

POW! That's what I'm talking about.

Has The Dark Knight returned or what?

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Chris McVetta said...

You know ...part of me died in that cave back there (and that's a good thing). The funny thing is, I'm just happy to let go and flow now. That doesn't mean I'm giving up or I have stopped trying - just the opposite, in fact.

I guess what I'm trying to say (in some roundabout way) that it now amazes me how tightly people try and hold onto ...things. And I used to be that guy.

Damn, a few months ago, I would have been that guy still wanting to hang out in my old college newspaper office ...or down at the old Dharma station at Kent State ...or some old Cleveland haunt ...or any place that "felt" comfortable to me before.

But I don't WANT to be comfortable anymore. I want to move onward and upward to some new, exciting level. I don't want to be the guy that sighs at the Indians or the Cavaliers and shrugs: "Wait 'till next year" in the same predictable fashion (year ...after year ...after year).

People do not exist to "wait 'till next year" - that's not our purpose here. And no matter how comfortable it is, we were not meant to hang onto the past with some fevered stranglehold either (that's what fond memories are for). Sometimes, you just need to ...let go.

As you can see, I am in a rather reflective mood this morning. But that's a good thing!

So yes, Sarah, something DID happen to me back at that Brady Quinn luncheon last week... and the fact that you SENSE something makes me all the more positive that I am onto something "bigger than anything I have ever gone after before."

And I'm bringing my wit along for the ride...

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So, Jack, tell me. What exactly did you do before you became Moses?"

It's just one more week before you help Locke "move the island." Any other BIG SURPRISES we should know about, Dr. Shephard?

"I said maybe (I said maybe). You're gonna be the one that saves me (saves me)? And after all...You're my wonderwall."

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Glad to read of your change in perspective, Chris. I can hear the new-found confidence and eagerness to get on with it all in your writing voice. I'll be following your progression with interest, my friend.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Chris McVetta said...

Thanks, John! Right back at you, sir.

Things are going well. I've been having a blast these last weeks translating my words into a new medium. I should have an update in a few days...

"See you in another life, brother."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home