Friday, November 11, 2005

Cue the Kenny Loggins, Gopher!

Ty Webb: "I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball. Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball, Danny..."

Danny Noonan: "It's hard when you're talking like that!"

And The Continental Player of The Year goes to ...Grady Sizemore!

Congratulations to this year's winner of Continental's "Work Hard, Fly Right" award, Grady Sizemore. Grady Sizemore will receive 1 million Continental Airlines One Pass miles to donate to his favorite charity, courtesy of Continental Airlines.

Um, I'm not sure how this works, if orphans get to fly to Tahiti or what -? But who am I to judge... (There ain't no gruel served in First Class, Tiny Tim, so soak it up!).

****

In other news, an old friend of mine from college yesterday told me that I basically need to get out of this (bleeping) town, um, in no uncertain terms (I, um, guess the "Believe in Cleveland" slogan hasn't sunk in with him yet - of course, it's important to remember that he doesn't live in a nursing home, either). This was all over Hoegaarden, burgers and bar food at The Winking Lizard, of course!

It's not that this person (I'll refer to him as "The Source") hates Cleveland - just the opposite, in fact - he loves this town. And it's not about being negative, sour grapes, or any corporate ("Who Moved My Cheese?") kind of crap like that. He's actually (in his own way) one of the most positive people I know - and highly successful. But even The Source realizes spinning wheels when he sees it - and I'm sure his heart was in the right place.

He recommended a book to me entitled "What Should I Do With My Life?" by Po Bronson (and it was the second time in two years someone strongly suggested I read this). So, I figure, if someone is going to actually take time out of their life to recommend something to me that they feel will help or inspire me, then I should at least be courteous enough to indulge them - so I bought the book this morning and intend to read it.

****

In other blah, blah, blah news - I recently had a discussion with someone I know who loves music yet, for the life of him, cannot understand why someone would PAY for Sirius Satellite Radio (after I mentioned I own stock in the company).

"I bet they use to say the same thing about Cable TV..." was my only response.

And then, like Dr. Doom, I returned home to my hidden mountain lair where I picked up my Larry Morrow chess piece off of my Clear Channel chess board and informed it: "Soon, my pet. Very soon - victory will be MINE!!!"

Then, in a final theatrical fit of rage, I flipped the chess board and scattered the Kid Leo and Maria Farina chess pieces across the four corners of the room: "Bah, hahahahahahaha! DOOM!!!"

For Weekend Update, I'm Chris McVetta ...and you're not.

2 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Chris, I hear that Po Bronson book is pretty good. He was a high-flying Silicon Valley journalist, until the dot-com crash caused him to take stock of his own life and then go around the country listening to the stories of others. Thanks for the reminder about this book. He has a new one out now as well. I hope to eventually read them both.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Chris McVetta said...

John,

Thanks for the feedback - and the info about Po. I'm about a quarter of the way thru his book and reading the stories of these people has been a truly eye-opening experience for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home